The items listed below will be packed into a duffel bag which we provide and will be stowed on Lady Eugenie. You will only need to carry a day pack with your personal belongings, lunch and water for each days walk.
Essential Gear List
When you arrive at the pre-departure point, it would be great if you could have all the gear you intend to take with you separated from any other luggage (perhaps in a garbage bag). This will make the packing process run more smoothly.
- Lace-up hiking boots. See our footwear guide for specific recommendations for this walk.
We can not over-emphasise the importance of appropriate footwear. Running shoes, sand shoes, elasticised boots and similar are not acceptable. Boots/shoes must be worn in to minimise the risk of blisters. If you haven’t worn your boots for a while please dust them off, take them for a walk and make sure the soles are still firmly attached to the boot. There is nothing worse than your boot failing on day one. You will be unable to commence the walk without the appropriate footwear, so please feel free to contact us for more details. We are more than happy to discuss footwear with you.
- Waterproof overpants (September/October & April/May)
- Clear-soled shoes suitable for the yacht (Dunlop Volleys or similar)
- Polar fleece jacket (preferred) or woollen jumper
- Light jumper (warm)
- Shorts and/or light trousers for walking
- Polypropylene thermal underwear (long-sleeved top and long johns; essential in summer and winter)
- Warm long pants (for evenings on the boat)
- Shirts / t-shirts (merino or polypropylene; 3 recommended)
- Socks (merino recommended; 3 pairs recommended)
- Sun hat and sunscreen
- Travel towel or body chamois (body size for swimming; light and quick to dry)
- Water bottle(s) (at least 1.5 litres total capacity)
- Travel mug for hot drinks on the track
- Any personal medication, including anti-inflammatories and EpiPens
- Long-sleeve shirt for sun protection while walking
* DENIM AND COTTON CLOTHING ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR WALKING
Recommended Gear List
- Camera (with spare batteries or charger - limited charging capacity available on Lady Eugenie)
- Waterproof over pants (November, December, January, February, March)
- Walking poles
- Swimming costume
- Drawing or painting supplies
- Notebook and pen/pencil
What we provide
- 50-litre canvas pack (available on the morning of departure)
- Rain jacket (3-layer membrane; waterproof and breathable available on the morning of departure)
- Day pack
- All bedding and linen
- Lunch container and cutlery
- Basic toiletries (sunscreen, after sun care, insect repellent, Sorbolene-based moisturiser; available on board Lady Eugenie)
- Small reference library offering a range of books and games (including field guides and maps)
* Please note: any luggage not required on your walk can be stored at our office and will be returned to you at the conclusion of your walk.
If you have your own hiking gear please feel free to bring it along to use. Our guides will ensure it is suitable on the morning of your departure.
- Recommended Tasmanian Adventure Stores
Discover discounts for walkers here: https://www.taswalkingco.com.au/walker-benefits/These local stores can help with gear and advice. Visit or call in advance to arrange delivery to your home or collection prior to departure.Hobart• Find Your Feet | 107 Elizabeth St, Hobart TAS 7000 | 0466 906 167 | website | TWC walker discount 20% (Code: TasWalkingCo)• Tasmanian Made Smitten Merino Clothing | 47 Sandy Bay Rd, Battery Point TAS 7004 | (03) 6212 0197 | website | TWC walker discount 10% (Code: TasWalkingCo)• lululemon Hobart | Shop T11/49-51 Murray St, Hobart TAS 7000 | (03) 6231 1406 | website
• Macpac Hobart | 99 Elizabeth St, Hobart TAS 7000 | (03) 8652 1451 | website• Find Your Feet | 23 Kingsway, Launceston TAS 7250 | 0416 846 967 | website | TWC walker discount 20% (Code: TasWalkingCo)• Aspire Adventure Equipment| 136 York St, Launceston TAS 7250 | (03) 6331 8708 | website
- Gear hire
- Three Capes Gear and Gourmet, has walking poles, over-pants and headlamps available for hire.
- They will conveniently deliver to our walkers base for the start of your walk.
- To organise hire gear please visit https://twc.3capesgearandgourmet.com.au/