The items on the gear list below will be packed into a 50-litre pack (provided) and carried by you.
Essential Gear List
When you depart Hobart it would be great if you could have all the gear you intend to take with you separated from any other luggage (perhaps in a garbage bag). This will make the packing process run more smoothly.
- Lightweight lace-up walking boots or shoes with ankle support and treaded soles (full-grain leather or Gore-tex with Vibram soles recommended).
We can not over-emphasise the importance of appropriate footwear. Running shoes, sandshoes, elasticised boots and similar are not acceptable. Boots/shoes must be worn in to minimise the risk of blisters. We are more than happy to discuss footwear with you.
- Polar fleece jacket (preferred) or woollen jumper/pullover
- Light jumper (warm)
- Gloves or mittens
- Shorts and/or light walking trousers
- Thermal base layer (long-sleeved top and long johns - merino or polypropylene)
- Warm, long pants (evening lodge wear)
- Shirts/t-shirts (merino or polypropylene; 3 recommended)
- Socks (3 pairs recommended)
- Lightweight indoor footwear (crocs/sports sandals; for lodge use)
- Sun hat & sunscreen (small bottle for use during the day)
- Travel towel or body chamois (for showering; light and quick-drying)
- Water bottle(s) or water bladder (2-litre total capacity required; our packs can fit a water bladder - just ask your guides)
- Travel mug for hot drinks on the track
- Head torch
- Any personal medication, including anti-inflammatories and EpiPens
- Face masks - enough for the duration of your walk, keeping in mind we don't provide laundry facilities. Masks with filter preferable. For public health advice on masks click here
- A small bottle of hand sanitiser to use whilst on track. You can refill at the lodges each evening.
* DENIM AND COTTON CLOTHING ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
Recommended Gear List
- Walking poles (assists with balance and muscle fatigue)
- Water-proof over pants (highly recommended- particularly in winter months)
Optional Gear List
- Bathers (for swimming)
- Small mirror (especially if you wear contact lenses)
Optional Tasman Long Weekend Walk
- ankle gaiters
* Tip: Layering of clothing has long been the basis for dressing in the outdoors and the gear list above follows this principle. When the temperature drops, we add another layer of insulation; if it rains, we add a rain shell on top and when it’s warm and dry, we strip off a layer.
* Your comfort and enjoyment are of paramount importance to us, and our intention is to keep your pack weight to a minimum. Aim for one set of warm clothes for evening and another set to wear whilst walking. Thermals are necessary due to their lightweight, quick-drying and warm properties.
* While the lodges include drying rooms for wet gear, they do not incorporate laundry facilities. If you adhere to the packing list, you should be all set for the duration of your walk.
* Please note that guides will do a thorough gear check prior to departure. If you are unsure about anything on the gear list, please call us or talk to your local outdoor adventure store.
Recommended Tasmanian Adventure Stores
• Macpac Hobart | 99 Elizabeth St, Hobart TAS 7000 | (03) 8652 1451 | website
- What we provide
- Day pack (available on the morning of departure)
- Rain jacket (3-layer membrane; waterproof and breathable - available on the morning of departure)
- Pack liner
- Lunch container and cutlery
- Basic toiletries (sunscreen, after sun care, insect repellent, Sorbolene-based moisturiser)
- Bio-degradable liquid soap (we would appreciate it if you used our soap, as it is phosphorus-free and suited to our greywater systems)
* Please note: any luggage not required on your walk can be stored at our office and will be returned to you at the conclusion of your walk.
If you have your own hiking gear please feel free to bring it along to use. Our guides will ensure it is suitable on the morning of your departure.
- Gear hire
- Three Capes Gear and Gourmet, has walking poles, over-pants and headlamps available for hire.
- They will conveniently deliver to our walkers base for the start of your walk.
- To organise hire gear please visit https://twc.3capesgearandgourmet.com.au/