The items on the gear list below will be packed into your 50-litre pack (provided) and carried by you.
Essential Gear List
When you arrive at our walkers' base it would be great if you could have all the gear you intend to take with you separated from any other luggage (perhaps in a garbage bag). This will make the packing process run more smoothly.
- Lace-up hiking shoes or boots that have sturdy, treaded soles (full-grain leather or Gore-tex with Vibram soles recommended.
We can not over-emphasise the importance of appropriate footwear. Running shoes, sand shoes, elasticised boots and similar are not acceptable. Boots/shoes must be worn in to minimise the risk of blisters. You will be unable to commence the walk without the appropriate footwear, so please feel free to contact us for more details. We are more than happy to discuss footwear with you.
- Polar fleece jacket (preferred) or woollen jumper/pullover
- Light jumper (warm)
- Shorts and/or light walking trousers
- Thermal base layer (long-sleeved top and long johns - merino or polypropylene; 2 sets preferred)
- Warm, long pants (evening lodge wear)
- Shirts/t-shirts (merino or polypropylene; 3 recommended)
- Socks (3 pairs recommended)
- Lightweight indoor footwear (thongs/sports sandals; for lodge and kayaking)
- Sun hat & sunscreen (small bottle for use during the day)
- Travel towel or body chamois (for swimming; light and quick-drying)
- Water bottle(s) or water bladder (2-litre total capacity required; our packs can fit a water bladder - just ask your guides)
- Head torch or small torch
- Swimming costume
- Any personal medication, including anti-infallatories and EpiPens
* DENIM AND COTTON CLOTHING ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
Recommended Gear List
- Walking poles (highly recommended for negotiating rocky terrain and muddy patches, as well as assisting with balance and muscle fatigue)
- Insect repellant
- Small mirror (especially if you wear contact lenses)
- Short lightweight wetsuit or spring suit for swimming
- Spare batteries or USB power cord for camera (there is one charging station in each hut, with 2 USB ports and 1 cigarette lighter socket)
- Ankle gaiters
* Tip: Layering of clothing has long been the basis for dressing in the outdoors and the gear list above follows this principle. When the temperature drops, we add another layer of insulation; if it rains, we add a rain shell on top and when it’s warm and dry, we strip off a layer.
* Your comfort and enjoyment are of paramount importance to us, and our intention is to keep your pack weight to a minimum. Aim for one set of warm clothes for evening and another set to wear whilst walking. Thermals are necessary due to their lightweight, quick-drying and warm properties.
* Your guides will do a thorough gear check prior to departure. If you are unsure about anything on the gear list, please call us or talk to your local outdoor adventure store.
- What we provide
- 50-litre canvas pack (available on the morning of departure)
- Rain jacket (3-layer membrane; waterproof and breathable available on the morning of departure)
- Pack cover and pack liner
- Sleeping sheet and pillow case for use a Forester Beach Camp (sleeping bags provided), linen at the Lodge
- Lunch container, cutlery and travel mug
- Basic toiletries (sunscreen, after sun care, insect repellent, Sorbolene-based moisturiser; available at each hut)
- Bio-degradable liquid soap (also suitable as a shampoo; available at each hut - we would appreciate it if you used our soap, as it is phosphorus-free and suited to our greywater systems)
- Lodge library offering a range of books and games (including field guides)
* Please note: any luggage not required on your walk can be stored at our office and will be returned to you at the conclusion of your walk.
- Gear hire
- Bushwalking Hire Gear Tasmania has gaiters, over pants, head torches and walking poles available for hire
- Hire gear must be pre-booked at least 1 week prior to departure
- Gear will be delivered to our walking base ready for collection on the morning of your departure
- To organise hire gear please visit www.bushwalkinghiregear.com
- Available for purchase at our walkers' base
- Pocket day packs
- Tasmanian Walking Company branded merino t-shirts
- And more!